Monday, January 30, 2006

A Funeral Dirge for the Republic?

With Alito set to join the Supreme Court, we can only assume that our beloved republic is facing the last, painful moments of her life. Rather than seek to eradicate the fatal but curable illness that has sapped the strength of our fair lady Democracy, Dr. Republican and Nurse Democrat are standing by to assist in her suicide. The fatal dose will be a cocktail of executive power toxins, an anti-balance-of-powers drought, and a poison sure to eradicate all of those pesky, unwanted civil liberties. Without quick, positive action to deliver the antidote, a return to true participatory democracy and massive protest, we who have loved her too well to watch her die will be helpless to save her. Will she rest in peace or rage against the dying of the light?

A few words to assist in applying the antidote:
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
--Mahatma Ghandi

"In this revolution, no plans have been written for retreat.
--Martin Luther King, Jr.

The revolution will be televised... and webcast... and blogged!
Personally, I think of it this way. The first of my ancestors came to what would be the United States approximately 15,000 years ago. This land is my birthright. This nation is my home. Albeit by negative example, this country has taught me to love freedom to dearly and too well to stand silent while it is taken away. I can never surrender. I will not retreat. I must and will fight with all that I'm worth until they tear what's left of my liberties from my cold, dead hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home